Sunday, February 11, 2007

We spent this past weekend in Jerusalem, probably the most amazing city I have ever seen in my life.



Words don’t even begin to describe being at the Kotel (Western Wall) at night, and for that matter, on Shabbat. The area was flooded with Jewish people, mostly Chasidim with black hats and beards.

I was at first hesitant to approach the wall when I saw the huge group of Orthodox Jews surrounding it. I know that I am also Jewish and love Israel, but it just didn’t feel inherently comfortable to walk through them.

Those feelings vanished the second I began my walk towards the wall. An orthodox man named Shuli Weiss approached my friend and me and invited us to come spend Shabbat with his family during our next free weekend. It made the experience so much more welcoming.



When I put my head against the wall for personal prayer, I lost track of time but I think I was there for ten to fifteen minutes. For me at least, the wall looked like nothing from afar; but when you stand up against it and look up, it appears to be the biggest structure on Earth.

After finishing, I began to hear a group of Orthodox Jews singing and dancing to the same prayers and melodies that I hear at Stephen S. Wise Temple on Friday nights. I never thought that I would be hearing reform melodies sung by Orthodox Jews in Jerusalem. My friends and I were able to join in.



Other than the Kotel, I was able to see a lot of Jerusalem by walking the city, at times with the whole group and at other times, with friends. The Old City is beautiful and turns gold at night. I saw the President of Israel’s house, the Jerusalem Theatre, Sir Montefiore’s windmill, and other historic sights.

Saturday night, before we returned to the dorms in Hod HaSharon, we went to a famous coffee shop called Yans. It is an Arabic style restaurant and we sat on couches on the floor. The desserts were amazing…



I’m about to go out now for dinner and I’ll update all of you soon. L’hitraot!

No comments: